October 20, 2022 OHA Board Meeting Minutes
The Board of Commissioners of the Housing Authority of the City of Orlando, Florida (OHA) held its Board Meeting Thursday, October 20, 2022 at 325 North Hillside Avenue, Orlando, FL 32803. The meeting was called to order by Vice Chair Brooks at 2:02 p.m. and a quorum was established at 2:51 p.m. This was the first (1st) meeting for the 2023 fiscal year. The meeting lasted fifty-three (53) minutes.
Vicki Brooks, Vice Chair (1/0)
Brice Aikens, Esq. (1/0)
John Crossman (1/0)
Stephen Smith (1/0)
Ed Carson, Chair (0/1)
Brunilda Alfaro (0/1)
Nancy Peed (0/1)
II. APPROVAL OF MINUTES FROM MEETINGS:
A. June 16, 2022
On a motion duly made by Vice Chair Brooks seconded by Commissioner Aikens and carried, that the April 21, 2022 minutes of the Board of Commissioners' (OHA) meeting were approved.
B. September 22, 2022 The September 2022 board meeting Minutes was tabled. (Chair Carson, Vice Chair Brooks, Commissioner Alfaro, Commissioner Smith). There was not sufficient number of Commissioners at the meeting to approve the minutes.
III. FINANCIAL REPORT
Mr. Michael Simmons, Chief Financial Officer, presented the following reports: the Financial Report, the Moving to Work Compliance Report, and the Impact of COVID-19 on the OHA Waiting List.
IV. PUBLIC HEARING - MOVING TO WORK (MTW) FISCAL YEAR 2024 PLAN
- Open Public Hearing
Vice Chair Brooks opened the Public Hearing at 2:17 p.m. Ms. Kesha Brown, MTW Budget Analyst of the Orlando Housing Authority, presented the summary of the Moving to Work (MTW) Year 2024 Plan.
- Close Public Hearing
There was no comment. Chair Carson closed the Public Hearing at 2:20 p.m.
V. PUBLIC APPEARANCES
The Board of Commissioners acted upon the following consent agenda items through a single vote, which was moved by Commissioner Aikens, seconded by Commissioner Smith, and carried that the Board adopt the Resolutions as introduced, read, and discussed.
A. RESOLUTION NO.: 3731 - A
Authorization to procure with Sissine's Business Solutions through piggyback procurement agreement to provide and maintain multifunction copiers and printers
B. RESOLUTION NO.: 3732 - B
Authorizing the award of contract for pest control services
C. RESOLUTION NO.: 3733 - C
Authorizes the President/CEO To execute requirements-based agreements with United Healthcare for employee health insurance
VII. DISCUSSION ITEMS
- INITIATIVES TO IMPACT HOMELESSNESS
Ms. Thelma Mungen, Assistant to the President/CEO, presented the report.
- WEST OAKS APARTMENTS UPDATE
Mr. Ayub Fleming, Asset Development Program Manager, presented an update on West Oaks Apartments.
- ANTIOCH MANOR APARTMENTS UPDATE
Mr. Ayub Fleming, Asset Development Program Manager, presented an update on Antioch Manor Apartments.
- SANFORD HOUSING AUTHORITY UPDATE
Mr. Ayub Fleming, Asset Development Program Manager, presented an update on Sanford Housing Authority (SHA).
VIII. OLD BUSINESS
IX. NEW BUSINESS
Mr. Ricard Gilmore, Esq., OHA's Legal Counsel discussed the following:
- Florida Governor DeSantis issued an Executive Order to suspend the need of a physical quorum for public board meetings in certain Counties of the State of Florida, which includes Orange County.
- Pinellas County Housing Authority.
- The difference between Dependent and Independent Special Districts.
X. PRESIDENT/CEO'S REPORT
The President/CEO discussed the following:
- Stability Voucher Program Application
- Congresswoman Val Demings Affordable Housing Discussion with HUD Secretary Marcia Fudge's and other elected officials. The meeting will be held at the Orlando Housing Authority's Matilde Roman Center.
- The next board meeting is scheduled for November 10, 2022. It will be a breakfast meeting and will start at 9:00 A.M.
XI. CHAIR'S REPORT
There being no further business to come before the Board, the meeting was adjourned at 2:55 p.m.